Two Weeks

“It’s not the going that’s hard, it’s the leaving.”

Continued from social media posts...

She sat across the table from me with pain in her eyes, and her words struck my heart with more understanding than she could possibly imagine. My dear friend articulated with her words that day how uprooting and moving to a new city can simultaneously be a fun, exciting adventure to pursue and yet an emotionally painful experience to go through as you leave behind all of the people, places, and things that you hold so dearly. I have carried these words with me each week leading up to our departure- in the moments that feel exhilarating and we see God prepare the way for our family in this exciting new place and season! But also in the private moments where tears fill my eyes as I rock my baby to sleep in some of our last moments in our very first home together. 

I love new. I feel like it’s more common to hear the words, “I’m not a big fan of change.” But I’ve personally always felt the opposite. I actually really enjoy new experiences and changing up the scenery. Sometimes to my detriment, I have never done well staying tied down for very long. But in our 8.5 years of marriage, Steven and I have always resided in the same general area at least. The same general area where I grew up and have never left.
 I always dreamed of moving away and getting to live somewhere else one day, but that has not been God’s plan for me- until now. And now that I’ve been planted somewhere for a long time- especially as a married couple & now with a child- the uprooting feels very different. It feels much more involved and emotionally entangled than maybe it would’ve been 8 or 5 years ago. We have enjoyed a very happy life in our current city and church home and in the roles we have championed. We have been very blessed in this past season of life and ministry and growing our family under the support and care of the most loving people we’ve ever met. We have truly built our lives here in this community, and leaving now feels a lot like loss. Like sacrifice. Like... I finally get a beautiful child in my arms and now we must leave all of our family and friends and all of our loving support? 



This step of faith may not be taking us too far up the road, admittedly, but it’s a complete and entire uprooting from our known and comfort of home. It’s a chance to become missionaries in a new place for the sake of the gospel and for Kingdom expansion in a city that God is already at work. We can’t wait to join Him. 
And some will come with us. And that’s a great comfort and means the world to us. But many will stay behind and cheer us on from afar. Supporting and loving and caring in different ways and in different capacities. 

We step out in faith and trust God to bring us a thriving community of authentic family relationships in our new church, our new neighborhood, and new community. We believe that God has good, good plans for us in this new season. 


This week I got a notification from my local library reminding me that my currently checked out book would be due back soon. I tossed back and forth between the idea of renewing it again... for the 3rd time (the max number of permitted times 😅) because my life just doesn’t have the margin right now for the leisurely book-reading time that I would like. But I did decide to renew the book- with some great hope & dream of finishing it before we MOVE.
And that’s when I saw the next due date for said book... and I froze. The date stared back at me, and I suddenly felt the weight of it... we will already be moved to Athens by the date my book is due back.
 I can’t prolong the moving date or renew it for another few weeks or so like I can with this great, yet unfinished book.
If nothing else, it lit the proper fire in me to get closure on this wonderful story and to turn the thing back in before I’m no longer a resident of the county for which the library privileges provide.

But here we are. 
Moving in 2 Weeks.

So coincidentally enough, it means that I have 2 weeks to finish reading a book called “2 Weeks.” 

And the sentimental hard stuff that I’m feeling as we pack up our lives and say goodbye to not only a home, but an entire chapter of life? I’m trying not to pack all of that up, too and tape it closed. I’m trying to let myself feel all the things I need to as we transition to a new place and do new things with new people. And some of the things I feel are not fun or easy.

We have a beautiful home waiting for us in Athens, praise God! And I sincerely look forward to all the new memories that we will make there with friends and family and whoever God adds to our crew along the way. I’m so thankful for the ways that God has provided for us and made this next chapter possible. He’s brought great comfort, support, and love our way through wonderful people, His Word, through worship songs, prayer, and time spent in His presence.

Stay tuned for more details on the prayers and praises involved in the selling of our Dacula home and the buying of our new one in Athens. We’ll be sharing more of the story via Phoenix Community of Athens next week.

Sign up here to receive our Phoenix Rising newsletter to be the first to hear where God is taking us in two weeks!

Comments